Thursday, October 6, 2011

From Zombified to Zenified

I called them “mild heart attacks.”  They would pay a visit on those days in which I was sitting in toxic rush-hour traffic frustrated, exhausted, stressed out, burned out, and just ready to get home after a long, grueling day in the corporate world.  These chest pains started happening too often.  I realized that my body was trying to tell me something.  Day after day, as I had the life sucked out of me more and more, I began to realize that the stress was not worth it. 

Long story short – I was ready for a well-deserved break.  I decided to be brave and let it all go……It was time for a personal hiatus from the mindless, repetitive cycle of my auto-pilot, robotic worker existence.  I was tired of just being a zombie that went to work and back and started all over again day after day after day.  I was lucky enough to have the opportunity (and support) to unplug from the daily grind.  After all, what time do you have for yourself if you’re addressing the needs of the company, family, community, etc. every day?  It’s important to take time out for yourself to unplug, unwind, and breathe.

So I decided that it was time for some “me” time.  I quit my job and jumped into the great unknown for several months.  During that time, I caught up on my sleep, I made time for leisure activities, I took vacations, and I began to get my life and happiness back.  I spent time in nature and in quiet contemplation.  I started to try yoga (just a beginner!), and I was open to the idea of allotting time in which to quiet the mind.  This naturally led to an interest in learning meditation techniques, which are so popular (and even a way of life) in Eastern cultures and are commonly practiced for health and mental well-being.  At that time, I had no idea that my life was about to change forever……

As I recently told a friend of mine, “When you make space, well….that’s when the miracles happen!”


Stop for a moment.  How long has it been since you unplugged from the hectic demands of daily life to spend some quiet “me” time?  If you tried to completely silence your mind of all thoughts, could you?

No comments:

Post a Comment